Friday, July 29, 2011

Day 2 (Palma)

I pulled out my computer to start posting this literally like 6 hours ago. Although the distraction is not to be regretted, I apologize if this post is somewhat sleepy and disoriented. I woke up around last night to my roommate running into my bed trying to find the lightswitch cleverly hidden in the back corner (to turn it off, because we had all apparently fallen asleep with the lights on- actually probably because no one could find the lightswitch. This is a very long parenthesis message). I was confused by this, not by the sudden mild chaos, but the fact that moments before I had been thinking, oh my gosh, it's light out, I need to get up! Then, in the now darkness, I checked the clock to find it was in fact 4:35am. So my body is in a constant state of time confusion.

So it is for this reason I decided to come home around 6ish, get stuff posted, get my things in order, and get to bed early, as I will be up at 6am tomorrow. But, instead I made friends! First, it was Michael from England and Jasper (pronounced Yasper) from Holland. We talked for like 5 hours, then some Americans showed up, a whole bunch, but I only photo'ed Tim and Justin. In the photo I am about to post, they are in the order I just listed them.

They are awesome. I guess I am working backwards--
----
I would just like to add at this point that I got distracted for another 2 hours. That is all.

Anyway, before I got back I wandered back out into the city like a starving puppy. I decided on a sandwich which appeared to be mostly cheese, olives, and jalapenos. For some reason, despite my strong dislike for olives or that much straight up jalapeno, that is what I chose. I also picked some shiny apple pastry thing for good measure.


Shiny. I only really ate the outside part of the pastry, along with the apples on top, because it was filled with some weird pasty stuff that was merely mediocre. What is it with me not finding a proper dessert?

So the sandwich turned out NOT to have jalapenos after all. I became aware of this as I bit into it, immediately after I decided that no one "jams" (as in the sweetening and preserving of foods) jalapenos. At closer inspection, I can only conclude that they peel and flatten giant slugs, and slice them diagonally to put on sandwiches. Don't mistake me. The sandwich was delicious. Although I was starving and probably would have happily eaten jammed, smashed sliced slugs, it continued to be tasty one I had worked past my hunger-driven delusions. Upon further thought, the mystery ingredient was probably figs or something, but you never know. I am in a strange new world.

Hm. Before that was probably just my chunk of morning-time. This included sipping some sort of drink like blended frozen watermelon, which was very satisfying, and trying to find what I thought was a large outdoor market with produce and the like. I do think after the many awkwardly flat stairs, I found where it was supposed to be, but only found some little shops with clothing and fancy doo-dads. But I was content. The stairs were pretty enough to see, and I was properly sugared up with my watermelon granitada.

Then I meandered my way through the town to the sea. It was beautiful. It's quite nice, you can feel the sea breeze winding its way through the narrow alleyways as you get closer. I then hit up the Palau de l'Almudaina, a palace for those of you who don't speak gibberish, which has been around since prehistoric times. That's right. T-rex's built this. Just kidding. I just mean before recorded history. And by "I" I mean "the word prehistoric". I also saw the Catedral, not a typo, I'm being cultured. It was huge. And... like most big awesome cathedrals are. And then I saw the Banys Arabs, pretty much a tiny little Arab bathhouse. It had some pretty gardens, too. Here are a few pics:

 This is the cathedral. It is huge.
 This is inside the palace. I would show you the outside, but it is right next to the Catedral, which is enormous and pretty much completely outshines it like a diva. This is called the hall of the fireplaces. 3 guesses why. Right after this photo, I was going to take one of the AWESOME gold helmet with a huge dragon on it, but was promptly yelled at that photos were not allowed. Whoopsies.
 This is the bathhouse. You cannot take a bath in here anymore. Well you can certainly try, but the tourists watching the video next door might give you some looks. And I don't like looks when I'm bathing.
This is the outside of the bathhouse. I kind of liked the doorway more than the actual bathhouse, so I decided to share it with you too.

HIGHLIGHTS
So you know how in Europe, their cigarette boxes have those huge messages like "SMOKING KILLS" and the like? Well, I found out that is not the only thing that can kill you.
Ta-daaa! And at first what I thought was a Hitler-stache, is actually a little slot with someone peering through. I hope you can see clearly enough to get the whole effect.

I have also included a cute graffiti and a cool picture of Jasper.




I don't think I mentioned this before, and I am far too lazy to go back and check, but I have been finding some quite cool graffiti arts. I am posting them on my Flickr account. Oh yes, and for those of you who have checked out my Flickr already, I apologize, you will find nothing. There was some sort of error, and they should be up by tomorrow night.

0 comments:

Post a Comment