Thursday, July 28, 2011

DOUBLE DOUBLE (Travel)

No, I am not going to write about the delicious, well loved In-And-Out food, though worthy it may be. I am doing a double post, for today and for yesterday. I was not able to post yesterday, because I was on a plane. And then get mad if you use the internets there. SO.

Day 0. I got to the airport. I got my tickets. They put my picture on them, but I don't think it really looks like me...


So I was super excited. As is to be expected. I got on my plane, and there began my love affair with Air Berlin.

Seriously currently number 1 on my awesome airline list. Which is funny because I was just talking that morning about how airlines are sucking more and more. First of all, they were super nice when I did not understand their silly garblespeak of a language, and thought maybe I could get by with lots of smiling and pointing. They brought drinks by probably 12 times during the flight, including sneaking a water bottle into my seat pouch while I was sleeping, so as not to disturb me through the night. I know, right? All I needed then was a cuddle and the night would have been complete.

They also fed me. TWICE. I took pictures. I think the lady next to me thought I was a starving orphan, amazed at the sight of food. I ignored her.



I think there is a strange phenomenon that happens, when we get free food in cute packages, that no matter what it is, we're going to like it. I won't describe the food, because it is probably very boring, but I was very excited about eating it.

I have not gotten to the best part yet though. This was an overnight flight. When I got to my seat, there was a pillow/blanket set. Very nice of them. Seems standard, but airlines these days, I appreciate the basics. But then later, came the goodie bag. I was handed a little drawstring bag with some gibberish on it with a word resembling comfort on in. Only it was more like wiercomwurtagenhogenbagen. Because that's how they do. I bolded the part that resembles the English word "comfort", because I'm super smart and know that the "w" in German sounds like an "f". Like wuck trying speaking German, pardon my French I mean German.

Back to the goodie bag. It was all smashed small in another plastic outer bag, so at first I thought, oh... a bag. Not that I didn't appreciate the gesture. Maybe it was to put my pillow and blanket into, I thought. I was wrong. I opened it. First comes out a sleepy mask. Very nice, particularly in changing time zones where the sun tries to burn out your body's time clock directly. Then, some earplugs. Earplugs really gross me out, but I smiled all the same. Then, they even included a travel toothbrush and toothpaste! Though thinking about it, that may be for their benefit as well, having to deal with cranky hordes of adult-babies with morning breath.

But that's not all. It was the last item that won my heart. I pulled them out in all their glory...


SOCKS!!! Yes. I wear flip flops to the airport, due to the near violation that is now security, but airplanes are always air-conditioned to the EXTREME, with the vents right by your feet. I actually did pack my own pair of socks for just that reason, but I thrust them aside in a dramatic fashion at the sight of such a romantic gesture.

Air Berlin, I am forever yours.

Oh yeah, I also had a small connecting flight, like 2 hours MAYBE, and they still gave me this:


A result of another awkward interaction of me smiling and pointing at another sandwich, trying to communicate to just give me any old sandwich they happened to have within arm's reach. It was delicious. They're German. It's got like 3 different cheeses on there.

As a closing thought, did anyone else ever used to do this?


I used to pretend I was a ninja Turtle. I did again this time, but mostly to brave the evils of a strange unidentified growing wet spot outside the bathrooms. And there was no way I was taking the socks off.

So I barely have enough attention span for this. Actually I don't, I got distracted like 3 times. But I am going to post day 1 on a new post, to provide a short break.

0 comments:

Post a Comment