Thursday, September 1, 2011

Day 36 (Strasbourg)




Tell me who you love baa

 







<3<3<3<3<3 STRASBOURG!!!! <3<3<3<3<3

Strasbourg is nothing less than the beautiful lovechild of France and Germany. Rich with history and culture, my short visit here was simply not enough. I will have to return again one day. 

The Sheriff brought me breakfast. CHECK IT
We only just met and he already knows me this well. That's right. 5 KINDS OF DELICIOUS. You've got tasty fresh bread, glazed croissant filled with tan colored joy, elephant-ear style baked goody, regular (NOT to be confused with average) croissant, and finally, twisty glazy thing with little chocolate chips of happiness. Probably one of the best mornings ever. It's up there with churro joy. OH France, you woo me with your pastry wiles.


I went crazy with the camera. I am having a ridiculously hard time choosing what photos to put up here, because there are just so many good ones. Strasbourg is like... like you just read a fairy tale, and they're like, ok now that that's over, where do we put all these beautiful buildings and gorgeous sceneries? OH, I know! Strasbourg. I felt like I should have been wearing glass slippers or something. I tried to find 7 dwarves, but I could only find 7 small children, and their parents got all in a tizzy when I tried to make them work in the mines. 







WHAT






                                    THE






           CRAP






                     STRASBOURG







For reasies, if I was a city, I would totally hit on Strasbourg. I mean, I would be on it. I would be on Strasbourg.










Teaching times! I know you loving learning corner with ALi, so here it comes... There will be a test at the end.



You will note that some buildings throughout Strasbourg are pinkish in color. This is because it was once part of the Bubblegum kingdom, until 1795 when King Cavities decided to spoil the party. Like a JERK.


Or, it could be that Alsace is home to a type of sandstone... I mean, if you like boring real history and facts.




In Strasbourg, they worship the holy hippo. They believe that it's saliva has miraculous healing powers, and have medicinal fountains made from petrified hippos. This photo is irrefutable evidence.


WARNING: Fountain will not actually heal you, and may in fact result in giardia or typhoid. I do not recommend drinking from this fountain, or any you mistake for the magical petrified holy hippo fountains I have just told you about.





This is Strasbourg's Notre Dame. Note that the Notre Dame in Paris has 2 towers, but this only has one. This is because Strasbourg is technically a swamp, and Gaetan informed me that had they built the second tower, this building would be more famous than the leaning tower in Pisa. 


It is always windy in the plaza in front of this cathedral. Legend has it that the Devil heard there was a statue of him inside of the building, so he asked the wind to take him to go see it. Once inside, however, the doors shut him in, and to this day, the wind waits outside for the Devil to come back out.



There is also a second legend, which the perpetual 12-year-old inside of me likes-



 This is part of the carving above the main entrance. First, you see the "happy" goat (yes, take a close look), then floating guy, then little boy inside of a dragons mouth (also with some weirdo demon sitting in it), then a child standing on top of yes, the Devil's butt. This legend says this is the source of the "wind".

The day I am "too old" for fart jokes, is the day I die inside.








Inside the cathedral is a huge astrological clock. I got to see it ring, and it was possibly more impressive than the one in Prague. There is a little skeleton dude on this one too, front and center up there.


Gaetan knows the only person alive that knows how to repair this clock. It has been passed down from father to son for generations. Talk about job security. 


A minor hitch- the clock can't actually be adjusted, so every year in spring for daylight savings, he has to stop the clock, and enjoy a 23-hour workday until he starts it up again.



I hope you have enjoyed the Learning Corner with ALi today.


For lunch I had Spaetzle! I don't know how they make this, but they need to keep doing it.

Then Gaetan and I went to the "Park of 2 sides" which I think sounds more interesting in French/German. One side of the park is France, and there is a bridge, and the other side is Germany! I stood in both countries at the same time. I nearly collapsed time and space itself. The German side was a little more fun. I think I want to bring it home with me. It has radiculous water features that we played on







Yeah. We're totally adults.







They have pirate ships! Pirate ships. Make this park for me in America. DO IT.





Then we climbed this tower. Because we are champions.



Every single stair has the name/names of the people from the area that helped pay for this park/tower. Because Germans care about making their parks awesome. Are you listening, America?






As you can see, the view from the top of the tower was completely worth it. I never wanted to leave. Until Gaetan said he knew of a good restaurant.


And he did. I had Bibeleskais, which after I ordered I was informed means "little children's cheese", which I take to mean that it is made of small children. I ate them on potatoes
^you mix in the garlic, (chives?) and onions, and dump it on here
<----YUM.




 Thank you for reading le blog

This page protected by Mokey.

2 comments:

  1. yes please cheese children with spices on potatoes. why would my diet need to consist of anything else?

    ReplyDelete