Thursday, September 22, 2011

Day 55 (Lisbon)


Usually, the combination of ALi and fire results in something very unfortunate


Bawww, look how happy and gross I am.

This morning, it was a happy combination. The result was this




Delicious toasty egg sandwich, which all the other hostel guests got to drool at with envy. Mmm.







 
Having no clue what to really do today, I headed for the tram to take me somewhere. The wait was going to be about 15 minutes, so I crossed the street and waited in the 13 minute line for this little baby


It is a custard tart type thing, and the Portuguese pastry, particularly known to be best in Belem. Know what barrio I was in? Belem. That’s right. WIN. They give you some cinnamon and powdered sugar to put on this little sucker, and it’s pretty much a flavor orgasm in your mouth. I’m sorry to be crude, but there’s just no other way to describe it.





In Europe, there is a fad right now of harem pants. These are big flowy kind of pants that taper around the ankles, and the crotch is all saggy, either like a super gangster, or sometimes they kind of look like you took a deuce in ‘em. And I needed some. I regretted not buying a pair in Granada, so I was on a mission to find them before going home, and risking the US having too much fashion sense to have them. I looked up a popular store hoping maybe they would have them, and set out to find it. I found myself in the business district, walking down a completely boring street. Until I found the monsters that had taken over this part of Lisbon







Whoever made these, I want to kiss them on the mouth. They are so freaking awesome, and this totally made my day. Thank you kind sir. Or sirs. Or ma’am.  You.









The architecture is very interesting in Lisbon. It’s difficult to really see it in the pictures, so I will explain. It has a bit of that fancy touch, like spain does, but Lisbon has also retained a lot of Arab architecture. So you get a bit of a blend of the 2. Also, they are fond of covering their buildings with colorful tiles. It is very unique and quite neat to see.




One other thing I love about Portugal? It’s CHEAP. Oh my gosh. I went to the grocery store today and got a bag of pasta, some sauce, a big thing of juice, a bag full of bread, some Portuguese cheese, a tub of yogurt, and 2 puddings, all for like 6 euros! I have enough food to feed 4 people 2 different meals, and with dessert. I could live like a king here. Portugal, please be mine.

A cautionary note for all you toad-lickers out there. You don't know where your toad has been. Licking that toad means licking all the other toads that toad has been with.

0 comments:

Post a Comment