Friday, September 2, 2011

Day 37 (Zurich)

I found all the attractive people of Europe. They are all in Switzerland. Seriously, it's kind of like living in a movie. Everyone is attractive and rich. And I'm the dumpy little hippy dirtying up their streets. Aren't you glad to know me?

Everything here is super swanky. Even their public toilets are pieces of art-
It's kind of weird that it's all exposed and outside, but I guess when people are that beautiful, nobody cares. I think you have to be Swiss to use it though, because they got all pissy when I tried to. I must not look rich enough.

Zurich has a lot of cool old architecture, as a lot of these European cities do. I'll show you some. It'll take up space on my page, and look like I posted a lot.




I actually bought my little brother Ian a postcard with this exact shot on it. I should start charging people for my pictures. Please pay me 20 cents.



    I'm a building and I'm old!





I actually trekked across town (on... a tram...) just to see this one, so ENJOY IT.




             Uh... insert funny old church joke here?
Ah, I switched it up on you putting in a night time picture! Take that!

Probably the best feature of Zurich is its lake.



You know what's really difficult to take a decent picture of? A lake. So you get 4 average-ish pictures. But take my word for it (or you know, go look for yourself), this lake is gorgeous. I sat mesmerized for hours. I read on a park bench, sat in the sun and the shade, went where people were swimming, stood at railings along the edge- My day was mostly based around this lake. It's not my fault. I am 80% water. It calls to me.

Switzerland is expensive. I only swapped out my remaining British pounds for some Swiss francs, which are pretty much the same value, so I was fairly limited on cash, and I try to avoid the monetary rape that my bank subjects me to every time I use my card across seas, so my solution- the grocery store.

For those of you who know me, or have read my other blog entries like good little followers, you know that the grocery store to me is like Candyland. Without the licorice forest. Because I hate licorice. I totally take the bridge right past the Licorice Wicket, flipping Lord Licorice the bird on my merry little way.

Check the spoils-
It was a touch difficult to get it all in there, so I will tell you what I got. I got some "jogurt", which you can babelfish if you don't know what that is, two- count 'em two chocolate bars, one has honey crunchy business in it, one is dark chocolate heroin, a buttery bread thing, a pretzely bread thing, a roll of butter cookies/biscuits (I think they just call them biscuits so they can get away with eating a lot of them- which I'm totally on board with), and although you can only see one, I actually got five nectarines- ALL for less than a third of the cheapest meal I saw at any restaurant. I'm doing my victory dance right now. It's ok to be jealous. I am KING of the grocery!

I finally tore myself away from my Zurichsee (that's the lake. it is mine now.) and took the tram, and totally didn't get distracted and end up off who knows where... back to Marina's. She is my very gracious host.

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FINISH THIS POST

2 comments:

  1. hi ali
    are you sure that thing at the beginning was a public toilet??? it looks like a fountain to me, but the term toilet suggests that you treat it slightly differently than a fountain... *ahem* o.O please elaborate.

    ReplyDelete