Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Day 48 Give me Eze. Give it to me. (Nice, Eze, Monaco)

Eze!
Eze!
EZE
EEEEZE
                                                      Eze
                          EEEZE!!!!!!!
Please sing that in your most operatic voice you can muster. For me. DO IT.

Today started off a touch rough. I think I am cursed in this hostel, as every time I am like, "is the bathroom free?" somebody books it to get in and take a shower. Finally, after standing literally right outside the door, I got my turn, and then I headed down for free breakfast! I love free breakfast. However, not to complain, but ok to complain a little, a few dry cereals with warm milk are less than satisfying. Thankfully there was also some toast, which I devoured with apricot preserves. No, not jam. They're French. They're above that.

Map in hand, I made my way to the bus station that had my bus listed. After waiting for about 2 hours in the hot sun, my bus finally arrived, only for me to be yelled at in French by the driver, pointing across the plaza. I won't go into the frustrating details, but eventually I ended up at the other side of the plaza, not where he was pointing, at another station, waiting another hour, for the same bus. But it's ok. I was in Nice. And the bus ride was totally worth it.




As you can see, the Cote d'Azur is nothing less than breathtaking. And that thing that looks like a castle on that peak? Yeah. It's a castle. That is why I love Europe. I love castles. And Europe has them.







I had finally arrived in Eze. I was super hyped up to see it, and it did NOT disappoint. It has everything I could ever want in a town.



Fancy medieval doorways!





Fancy medieval staircases and passageways!




Medieval... exotic... gardens!





Medieval pregnant statues?



I saw this with my eyes today. What did you see with your eyes today? NOT this. That's what.


These 2 little girls were so flippin cute I almost died. I went totally creeper and took some photos of them.



CASTLE LIKE STUFF! Tiny medieval doors! Eee!



Despite how tiny it is, there are several local artists in Eze, with their little galleries. My favorite was probably the "Fish Man". NOT this gallery. Artists get a little touchy when you take pictures of their pictures. But the Fish Man dives in exotic countries, and makes paintings and art with the garbage he finds. It's awesome.



Medieval doors that are too old to use! So they grow plants and stuff on the stairway! Yeah!




I am running out of ways to say how radtastic Eze is. Not that the effect wears off at all for me, but it's just too much to put into words.










Eze is fairly small, and it seems that one hotel has a sort of monopoly over it. It's super swanky. They have a giant chess set. A GIANT...

(pause for dramatic effect)

CHESS SET. I am not even going to tell you how much it is per night. I think you know.



Did I mention I was happy to be back in France?









Dragging myself away kicking and screaming, I decided to go to another country. Monaco!


Monaco is essentially what Vegas tries to be. It big, it's pretty, it's expensive, and uber-ritzy. It's definitely worth seeing, epecially Monte Carlo, which is pretty much a castle land lump, which I'm sure you can guess why I like it, but other than that, it's really just not my cup of tea. Maybe if I did things like have cups of tea, I would like Monaco more.

Back in Nice, I don't know what happened. I've made it nearly 2 months without buying really anything, and all of a sudden- BAM. That X chromosome kicked me right in the girl-nards, and I bought a buttload of shoes. What. The. Crop. I was actually going to write 'crap', but I wrote 'crop' instead (as you can see), and then I was going to fix it, but then I decided I like it better that way. I'm wearing manwear. I don't make mistakes.

Then I ch-chilled at the beach. Swimmin and stuff. Yeah.
Yeah. Beach.



Ok so it's super hard to see in this picture, but these guys were riding like... foot... skateboard... things. Imagine 2 wheels in a line together (like roller blades), on a metal plate. They have 2 of these metal plates, one for each foot, and they ride them sideways. It's... CRAZY. I want some. I must have them. Next time, I'm shoving someone off them and just taking them.







Then it was time for my hostel dinner! Tonight it was some sort of Asian chicken thing, which was kind of like chicken curry on spiced rice. It was not really Asian at all, but I forgave them, on account it was so delicious. ALSO, they had homemade brownies.



"Asian" chicken dinner




FACT: Since chocolate is better in Europe, BROWNIES are better in Europe! You don't even know. You dont. even. know.









May the Golden Goat of Eze always watch over you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment