Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 38 (Zurich, Milano)

Zurich asked me why nobody was playing their lottery, and I had maybe 1 suggestion…


So usually when someone is kind enough to take me in, I try to give a little back, whether it be stocking their freezer with magnums, or taking them out to eat. For my gracious host in Zurich, I had bought some nectarines. I love nectarines and assumed that most others do, and fruit is usually appreciated. I was right in that she liked nectarines (WIN), but as it turns out, she is now allergic to them (FAIL). So this morning, I removed all poison nectarines from the premises, and instead left her a thank you note with a drawing of a monster that will consume all nectarines for her. Safety. The true gift.

When planning travel, usually you try to plan all the travel time to be at night, or on fast planes, because the assumption is that the travel eats up valuable time that could be spent seeing the country. The advantage to travelling in Europe is you can take train rides, and actually see the countryside, which is usually the most beautiful part of the country. This morning I got to enjoy hours of Switzerland.









Plus, you can pop in some music and get all introspective and crap. It’s super nice.






I made it to Milan! …and eventually to Dory, as the tram decided to simply not show up, and I had to just wait for the next one. What happened to it, I wonder? Kidnapped? Tramnapped? Or perhaps it fell asleep in the sun in a field somewhere, enjoying the warm summer day. While I had to squeeze into 2 trams worth of people on one. Today, I got up close and personal with Milan. I will not share any more of this experience with you, as I have successfully blocked it from my memory, and there it will stay, in the deep recesses of my brain, only to resurface explosively at an inopportune moment. The little joys in life.

The memory starts up again with me falling into the safety of the filthy open Milano street, and into Dory’s excited greeting. Once settled into my little temporary casa Milanesa, it was party time!








There was much picture taking!
















Meat sticks!














Brouder creepin on Dory!













I don’t want to talk about this one.

















Le Maschere!! These are masks that Brian bought in Bali and brought back for us to mess around with. Yeyah! In case you can't tell, I'm the totally hot 'stache-master.









Apparently, there was much serious conversation about... large… intellectual conversation things. Much.




You can just tell by our faces we’re talking about serious things. Like books. And… quantum physics. That’s what quantum physics looks like.











I’m not sure what’s happening here. I can only assume that I am trying to steal Dory’s face.








And the whole night wouldn’t be complete without a giant bowl of homemade tiramisu.


That’s right. Screw “servings”. It was a drunken sugar-fueled night. We played a European game, which I’m pretty sure took about 2 turns to change the rules to make it whatever we wanted. The result was stories about pumpkin carving at the circus and getting trapped in magical flooding caves. Don’t pretend you’re not impressed.

I think I need to spend the rest of my life with nights and people like these. It breaks my heart that I only get a couple days with them before I have to move on, and who knows when I will see them next? I think I leave a small piece of my heart everywhere I go, with all the wonderful people I meet. Hopefully that means they will find their way back to me someday.

And on that somber note…

DANCE PARTY!


0 comments:

Post a Comment