Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Day 21 (Antwerp)

A bittersweet day for me. I had to say goodbye to my dear Berlin, and the love we shared. My German blood cried a little, but it's tough. I hopped on my train- well 3 trains total- to Belgium. At one of the stops, I found the weirdest vending machine:
I think we need these in the States. Or maybe not. Each window has a fried goody in it- or a cheeseburger- and you put a euro in, and open the window and enjoy! I did not take a picture of my food, because although it tasted fine, it looked disgusting. It was a sort of spicy asian noodle dish fried into a red cube.

I arrived in Belgium, and Cherise came and saved me from my aimless wandering through the beautiful station, and took me safely home. What would I do without good friends like this? I know. Shudder in a corner somewhere living off fried noodle cubes.

Lucky for me, tonight was the night that Cherise and Ben (her man) get together with their neighbors and a good friend from the country, and cook delicious foods. We had a laugh because it was King Crab tonight, and they heard that I was from Alaska. But it had been a while since I had had the King of the Sea, and it was SOOOOO DELICIOUS!! They baked it in an herb butter, and my Alaskan soul jumped for joy. First, we had little tasty toasty things with meat and fruit or something- I don't really ask what's in my food anymore, I just eat it. I find it much more adventurous.




Tasty toasty thing, and delicious crabs. Sorry about the shadows. I was too excited about eating these foods I was not to concern myself on the perfect photo.





 This is Paul (whose home we were at) and their friend from the country, who had brought the crab. We had ice cream for dessert!

This is ice cream. For those of you wondering. It was amazing.

So many wonderful people have taken me into their homes and into their lives along my trip, and I am so grateful for every one I come across.

0 comments:

Post a Comment