Saturday, August 27, 2011

Day 31 (London)

Flora and Darragh are taking very good care of me. They made me breakfast!!




This was my first time ever having poached eggs. They were delicious. They're on some kale on some toast.  He's Irish. they do that sort of thing.



This can be nothing less than ambrosia. If I could only drink 1 juice for the rest of my life, this would be it.








Then they had to go out apartment shopping, and they left me alone to my own devices. I danced around to some music, then I discovered some hair cutting scissors. Yay! Sharp things! Of course, I quickly decided to chop away at my hairs. They also had one of those cool razor-scissor set things, and I'd never used them before, so naturally I decided to learn their secrets on my own hair.

Thankfully, the hair gods decided to do me a solid, and everything turned out awesome.
Yay for not looking like I got caught in a weed-whacker! I have some bangs again, and I can actually brush my hair like a normal person.

Then I ventured out into the world. First, the subway station I needed was closed due to the "bank holiday" (which basically means, hi, I'm England, I don't wanna go to work). So I wandered around confidently (I never look lost, that's my trick), perhaps in a circle several times, went down the wrong street for a while, then eventually found myself at a working station. I am emperor of all metro systems now, and I dominated this one.

 It took me a while to figure it out, but a man's voice says "mind the gap" over and over again on the intercom in the stations. I was confused trying to listen, and almost fell right in. Seems counterproductive.

I got into central London and explored. London is a huge beautiful city. The architecture is a mixture of old and new. There are little parks scattered around, and neat plazas.






Fancy monuments!




Plazas, with fountains, and people! 






Oooh! I'm London!










Throughout the day, I got to experience real London weather. First, it was overcast, then sunny, then drizzly, then sunny, then pouring down so hard and so suddenly that people broke into a sprint into any nearby building. I'm beginning to think that London can actually control the weather, so they can attack everyone with rain, forcing them into all the nearby shops. It's very good for the economy. I see what you're up to, London. I'm on to you!

Walking through London is sort of like a cartoon. Everyone sounds a little bit silly, and the signs almost seem like bad translations, or just strange in general. Exhibit A:



Why, thank you sign, for informing me that Starbucks is open, as usual. I can't tell if you are disappointed by this fact or simply delight in displaying unnecessary information. There were other signs I found highly amusing, but I did not snap pictures yet, so you will just have to wait!





I went to Flora's play, which was radical, she was fabtastic. Afterwards we hit up a pub. Pubs are really nice here. In America, we just have bars, which are either a touch dirty, and everyone is hitting on everyone, or they're all clubby and too fancy to just chill. 1 point for England.





Back at the apartment, Flora (accompanied by Darragh, who is apparently a ghost or a vampire and can't be photographed) made us toasty cheese deliciousness, as Darragh would put it, and it was one of the best things I have ever put in my mouth.



THIS. Decorated with hot sauce. What did you eat?! I bet it had less love than this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment