Monday, August 29, 2011

Day 33 (London)

Tally ho!

I don't have much to say for today. I took 3 pictures. Count 'em.



ONE. 2 graffiti skullies in lub. 




TWO. A terrible picture of some of the Indian food Flora and I ate.





THREE. A blurry picture of my mangro lassi, because I have no patience to take 12 pictures of lassi, and I got pissed off at my camera and put it in time out instead for taking blurry pictures. THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU'VE DONE!!








It's not that I didn't do anything. Well, I didn't do much in the morning except surf the internet like the procrastinating ADD child that I am. But eventually I crawled out of my comfort-hole and Flora and I went vintage shopping.

I'm at a somewhat strange stage in my life. I'm like a freakish mutant hybrid, part adult, part hyperactive 5-year-old, and part cloud. I am to the point where I would like to have a place to really settle into, to buy cool old cameras and junk and build stuff, and decorate a place into what I could call "home". But that means I actually have to choose somewhere to have a somewhat permanent residence, and that terrifies me. I can't afford to really buy any property, as I for some reason had to choose a career that demands I live like a gypsy. Though I'm pretty sure even gypsies have more money than I do. But if I could stop floating around and decide where I at least want a home base, I could lease something. Paint it. Have a couch for strangers to surf. And a strange chadelier-like wall sconce with dinosaur heads on it. I already have the sconce. Now I just need the apartment.

That's right. You didn't know I'd be sucking you into a tangent about my life did you?! Suckers. LEARN ABOUT MEEE.

After the introspective vintage shopping, we went and saw "The Tree of Life". Ok. I liked this movie, and it was moving and beautiful, but not ONE PERSON even gave a hint that it's totally not... a movie. What the crap. Everyone's all like, "oh it's so great, oh I cried the whole time", but none of you could take the 2 second to be like, "oh yeah, and it's totally not like a regular movie". Yeah. It's like a Natural Geographic-y piece of cinematic poetry. Which is great, and yeah I cried like a fat baby, and was all deep thought-ish afterwards, but it was not AT ALL what I was expecting. The effect of the movie was slightly lessened by the guy next to me going "what the f*ck?!" about every 5 minutes, but I couldn't exactly argue with him, when it went from "my son died (in the war?)" to <SPOILER ALERT> "we're gonna make you feel bad for this dinosaur that almost gets eaten but then doesn't for a completely unknown reason". Don't worry. I didn't really spoil it for you. You never see the dinosaur again.

I know I know, it's hard to have so many words and not as many pictures, and I'm sorry. To make you feel better, I will share this small story with you. I forgot to tell you on the day it happened, and then I forgot what day it happened, so I'm going to pretend it was today.

So today, as I was walking aimlessly down the road, I heard some shrieking-laughing from a little blonde pigtailed little girl. She zoomed by delightedly on her little push-scooter that was clearly too big for her, and was careening at top speed towards a large, very solid building. I stopped and gasped, expecting a full-on collision, but I was wrong. She had not yet learned how to use the brakes, and I'm mildly convinced she couldn't have properly used them at her size at it was, so with her quick little 2-year-old problem solving skills simply let go of the handlebars, and promptly placed both her hands on the ground, stopping just an inch from the wall. That's skills, people. That's skills.

1 comment: