Friday, August 26, 2011

Day 30 (Paris)

This is my symbol of Paris. In focus: a delicious brie sandwich, with the beautiful city in the background. The lady in the bakery totally knows me now. We're like this (I'm crossing my fingers).

I took it a little easy this morning. I sat at my window overlooking Paris, attacking all pastries in sight.
I only went a little crazy. Eventually I sadly packed my things, and I was off to Versailles! I was sad about the packing part, not the Versailles part.

Versailles is ridiculous. It is a fabulous palace (as they all are), with a few exceptional features. Some of the more impressive bits include:




Your own personal pipe organ!
















The Hall of Mirrors! Because it just wasn't enormous enough, we had to give the illusion that it was even bigger. But size matters when you are built by.... I'm giving you a second to guess...








That's right! Louis XIV. The guy who builds stuff, and puts himself on stuff. Check out those calves. Technically, the Chateau was built by Louis XIII, but it was just a mere hunting lodge the. Louis XIV expanded it and made it his own.










The Chateau Versailles is filled with beautiful statues and art and rich people stuff, but I think my favorite part was the grounds. Sprawling lawns with fountains and forest. It was gorgeous




Look at me! Bein' all artsy and crap.







It seriously went on forever in every direction. I wished I had a carriage. Or a car.

I also saw the Petite and Grand Trianon, where Marie Antoinette lived, and some other famous people or something. There was a cool sort of fashion display in the Grand one. But no pictures allowed. Sorry. You'll just have to go yourself.

After walking around for hours, I made one last goodbye trip to my favorite little bakery. The girl who smirks at my french wasn't there though. Sad face. But the pastries were. Happy face. Here's the gang-



First! Tartelette Citron with meringue. Oh. My. Gosh. They make meringue taste a kzillion times better than the best whipped cream you've ever had. No joke. All other dairy treats bow down to the glory of this egg white swirl.



Next up: un croissant beurre. Because 42 layers of butter was just not enough, they had to add more, and brush it with more. The powder on top is not actually powdered sugar, it's just flour that rubbed off of number 3.



I totally forgot what this is called. I actually had seen several people eating it throughout my trip, so I got one. It's a tasty, nutty bread filled with dried fruit and joy.






I will miss you pastries. I truly will. But I was off to London! I am terrible and did not take pictures of my arrival, but just picture me, put my backpack on, add Paris smell, and a touch of filth, and there you go. Flora and Darragh looked good though. But I cannot be outshone!

They picked me up from the train station, and we hit up a pub and chatted up. It was so amazing to see Flora again :D and to meet Darragh. They rock my world. Then they took me home and tucked me into me sweet warehouse futon, kissed me on the forehead, and told me stories until I fell asleep. <3

0 comments:

Post a Comment