Thursday, August 18, 2011

Day 22 (Antwerp)

Today I spend most of the day indoors. I don't know if you saw the news, but there was an epic storm here. It was strange, because during the earlier part of the day, it alternated between bad weather and super hot sunny weather. But by the evening it was pouring off and on- mostly on.
I don't know if you can tell, but it's freakin' RAINY. Apparently a little further out, buildings were destroyed. There was a huge concert with thousands of people, and the tent structures actually collapsed, and 2 people died. It was horrible, and insane.

So I stayed safely indoors, with my hot tea, and a sort of waffle-cookie hybrid filled with caramel. Or honey. Or manna from the gods.
 (You can put said waffle-cookie treat on top of your teacup, so make the inside all gooey. Mmm)

I don't know if you can hear it, but angels are singing.

Then Ben cooked us up some CuCu (spelling?), or 'rooster' in my native tongue. We also had some salad business, and Belgian fries. I will no longer accept any other fries as real. FACT.
 Ben and Cherise, preparing me food. I helped peel potatoes!

You can feast with your eyes. I actually got to eat it, so... yeah. Enjoy that whole eye-feasting thing.

At this point I would like to share with you a delicious discovery. And by discovery, I mean that Cherise showed me this in her kitchen.




THIS is a speculoos cookie. It is crumbly and cinnamon-y. And delicious...y.



AND THIS, my friends, is speculoos spread. I am told that in Belgium, they will eat cookie sandwiches. I mean straight up get 2 pieces of bread, and put cookies in between. So someone invented a product very much like peanut butter, but made of cookies. I would like to kiss this person. Unless they are gross. Then I will shake their hand.



So the rain settled, and we hit the town. There is a huge festival going on, which started today
There was this giant tent, with a wicked awesome DJ for the dancing. And the rest of the festival was huge, but also partially closed, considering it was very late. BUT fear not, we are going for realsies on Saturday, so there will be more on that! Oh, but after I show you the festival beasts. I have deemed them-





                           SKELECOW







and NIGHTHOG









I have conquered them both. I learned their ways and befriended them. And on Saturday... I will eat them on delicious buns. Most likely.

Oh, and then I saw some pretty buildings and crap. Look! Pretty.




Also also, we finished up in a sweet bar. It had a big art in it made of old stuff, of a man riding a... thing.
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment